Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

by Lorie Lewis Ham

Special coupon for Dinuba Platinum Theatre at the end of this review.

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice opened a couple of weeks ago and people have flocked to see these popular superheroes face off, and it has made millions of dollars already.

I imagine a big portion of those who want to see this movie in the theaters has already gone, or at least has a basic idea of the plot, so I'm not going to talk about that. I also don't want to include any possible spoilers. So what I am going to do is share my feelings about the movie.

Overall, there are a lot of problems with the script, but if you go in knowing this, there are also things about the movie to enjoy. There is some very intense action, and it was kind of cool to see Batman and Superman face off. Ben Affleck was actually good as Batman and Bruce Wayne, even if the character seemed a bit over the top where his obsession with Superman was concerned, and entirely too much time was spent watching him prepare himself to fight Superman.


➡ switch to KingsRiverLife.com for this week's issue ⬅


I enjoyed Henry Cavill as Clark Kent and Superman, even though the script has him more dark and brooding and a little less boy next door than the character typically is portrayed--but then that started with Man of Steel. He looks the part to a tee.

There are some interesting and fun moments between these characters when they are Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent that I really enjoyed, and then there are some moments when you just go, 'what was that and where did that come from.' There are a few funny bits that I also enjoyed. However, there are parts of the script that are just plain awful and some that make no sense at all (those what? moments I mentioned).

Jesse Eisenberg is better than I feared he would be as Lex, but the character is just written wrong and leaves us with a spoiled brat, almost at times joker like, character that isn't the strong, intelligent, ruthless businessman that I prefer as Lex Luthor. It's almost more like he's a kid playing very dangerous games with people's lives.



Image source: Warner Bros.

Some of the brightest spots are the brief moments with Wonder Woman--I was pleasantly surprised to find I really liked Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and look forward to seeing more of her. Amy Adams is also an excellent Lois Lane. Be careful, if you blink, you will miss the bits with Aquaman and Flash.

So my final feelings? I'm glad I saw it, however I'm not sure I'd want to pay high movie ticket prices to see it, unless you just want to go to see the big action on the big screen. It's worth seeing on DVD when it comes out--just don't come in with high expectations. There are good points, there are plenty of bad points, and a lot of questions as to why they decided to start these movies at this point in the character's stories. Mostly though, I'm frustrated because all the pieces were there to have made an absolutely amazing movie! Even Jesse Eisenberg's Lex could have been okay if written differently and costumed differently. But like everyone else, I'll go see the next one of the movies in this series to see if maybe eventually they get it right. No fault here belongs to the actors themselves-the problems are with the writing and the directing. So there's still hope.

Batman V Superman is currently playing at Dinuba Platinum Theatres 6. Showtimes can be found on their website. Platinum Theaters Dinuba 6 now proudly presents digital quality films in 2-D and 3-D with 5.1 Dolby digital surround sound to maximize your movie experience.

Print this coupon and enjoy a special discount for Kings River Life readers only!



Lorie Lewis Ham is KRL's editor-in-chief/publisher. She has published in many venues through the years and has 5 published mystery novels. You can learn more about Lorie's writing on her blog Mysteryrat's Closet.

Comments